Live Baltimore (www.livebaltimore.com) is seeking an Executive Director to build upon its 20-year history of success as an objective, accurate, timely, and lively source of information about Baltimore’s diverse neighborhoods and City living. This individual should have a passion for urban living, the skills to guide the creation of the organization’s new strategic plan, the ability to move easily among the wide array of stakeholders in this highly visible position, and a proven track record of managing staff and raising funds from diverse sources. This is an exciting and pivotal time for Live Baltimore as it aims for continued success and new growth for the City of Baltimore, and the organization seeks an Executive Director who can maintain and build on the momentum the organization has built.
The Executive Director Position and Key Qualifications
The Executive Director role entails:
- Leading the organization on a day-to-day basis by managing programs and staff;
- Overseeing recruiting, training, development, mentorship, and evaluation of staff members;
- Fostering a collaborative work environment;
- Reporting to the Board of Directors through alternating monthly meetings of the Executive Committee and Full Board;
- Serving as a visible spokesperson for Live Baltimore by representing the organization at city, regional, state, and other relevant events and identifying activities that will raise the organizational profile;
- Developing and managing the organizational budget, which includes annual participation in the City’s operating budgeting process;
- Cultivating expanded financial and other support to sustain Live Baltimore;
- Contributing significantly to the overall organization strategy by establishing goals, setting priorities and ensuring efficient execution of the annual and long-term plan;
- Collaborating with Baltimore Housing’s Office of Homeownership through a fee-for-service contract to execute homeownership outreach and events;
- Participating on the Mayor’s Cabinet to gain a broader perspective of cross-agency strategies and connecting Live Baltimore’s initiatives where appropriate;
- Reporting the organization’s progress on key initiatives to the Mayor’s Office; and
- Working closely with community stakeholders (community development corporations, housing counseling agencies, neighborhood associations, and schools) to leverage neighborhood development initiatives through targeted event programming and marketing.
Ideal candidates for this position will love city living, share a commitment to Live Baltimore’s mission, and bring a variety of experiences and attributes to Live Baltimore, including:
- Demonstrated ability to lead a nonprofit organization, including strong fiscal management, supervisory experience, and fundraising;
- Entrepreneurial skills in developing and managing high impact initiatives at not-for-profit or for-profit organizations, including revenue producing programs;
- Proven and confident leadership and management abilities, including experience motivating and organizing a team and external partners in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience developing and managing an operating budget;
- The ability to sustain and build partnerships and inspire new advocates for the organization;
- A strong understanding of real estate markets and practices; and
- Proficiency in Salesforce and QuickBooks helpful.
- The successful candidate must be, or become, a Baltimore City resident, and must terminate any active or shelved real estate licenses;
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, marketing, urban planning or related areas;
- Minimum five years progressive, related business experience;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for internal and external audiences;
- Knowledge and experience with media relations, marketing and sales;
- Strong analytical and strategic and program planning skills; and
- Ability to work flexible hours, sometimes on evenings and weekends.
- Competitive full-time annual salary commensurate with experience;
- Eligibility for company subsidized medical and dental insurance coverage, company paid life and short term disability insurance coverage, retirement savings plan, 22 days of Paid Time Off (PTO), and 10 annual paid holidays;
- Professional development opportunities; and
- Travel reimbursement.
Live Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe diversity ensures excellence. Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “Live Baltimore Executive Director Search” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Search is open until position is filled. Interviews will begin on or after April 1, 2017.