Are you fascinated by the built environment? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable? Would you enjoy working on a variety of projects with unique challenges and requirements in one of the most exciting cities in the country? If so, we’re looking for someone like this to join our team as an Active Transportation Street Designer II in Austin, TX dedicated to serving the Austin Transportation Department’s (ATD) Street Design Team.
Why join Toole Design Group?
At Toole Design Group, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 130+ engineering, design and planning professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate across disciplines with colleagues on transformative projects throughout Austin. As a woman-owned firm, diversity is a cornerstone of a business. Our staff gender mix is evenly balanced between women and men, strengthening our work and our culture.
As an Active Transportation Street Designer II, the things you design will get built! You’ll use state of the art tools and practices to help create sustainable multimodal transportation infrastructure. You’ll work with your colleagues to engage communities, develop concepts, produce quick-build schematic-level construction documents, and assist with the implementation of multimodal projects that range from small improvements to full-scale street reconfigurations. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of designing and implementing real solutions.
About our Austin team:
Toole Design Group has a multi-year contract to provide full-time staff support to ATD’s Active Transportation and Street Design Division. Our Austin team will be integrated as part of ATD’s nationally recognized Street Design Team to design and implement a variety of projects as part of the City’s $720 million 2016 Mobility Bond. The contract will support the Bikeways, Safe Routes to School, and Sidewalks bond programs, in addition to Transit Speed and Reliability work in partnership with the Capital Metro Transportation Authority.
Austin is on the leading edge of multimodal transportation, and this Active Transportation Street Designer is a key part of a strategy to double the rate of project design and implementation in support of the 2016 Mobility Bond and other growing program needs. This is an exciting opportunity to work with ATD’s incredible staff and be part of a team that will transform the way people move in one of the most exciting cities in the country. This is a full-time, permanent position and you will have ongoing opportunities with TDG in Austin or other locations in America’s most exciting cities.
You’ll be great here if:
- You want to develop and implement projects that will have an immediate impact on communities
- You enjoy building strong relationships across disciplines, between departments, and with our clients
- You deliver high-quality work on time and within budget
- You know how to get the message across, whether written, verbally, or graphically
- You are detail oriented and have strong organizational skills
- You’re motivated to tackle new challenges and develop creative solutions
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in civil/transportation engineering, planning, urban design, landscape architecture, or related field
- 3+ years of engineering, planning, urban design, landscape architecture, or related work experience
- Experience with Computer Automated Design (AutoCAD or MicroStation)
- A broad knowledge base in civil engineering (transportation focus)
- Specific knowledge of roadway geometric design
- Familiarity with traffic modeling software (such as Synchro)
- Interest in multimodal and active transportation issues and design (specifically for bicycle, pedestrian, Safe Routes to School and/or transit integration)
- Excellent task and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Demonstrated experience developing construction documents
- Experience working on transit projects
- Applied experience with design software (Civil 3D, GEOPAK or InRoads)
- Experience working with active transportation programs and groups, such as Safe Routes to School
- The chance to design and implement transportation projects that positively and directly affect communities across the City of Austin
- An environment that fosters innovative, thoughtful, internationally-aligned best design practices
- The unique opportunity to work with one of the most inventive city transportation departments in the country and industry-leading engineers and planners at TDG
- The ability to work directly with licensed engineers on a daily basis
- The potential to grow as a professional and advance in a company that prefers to promote from within
- Competitive salary and industry-best benefits
- A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
How to Apply:
Note that we will begin reviewing applications for this position on February 5, 2018 If you would like to apply for this position, please click here or visit our careers page and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website, follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn, or like us on Facebook.