Urban Housing Solutions is a mission-driven nonprofit affordable housing development and management agency. We own 1,250 apartments in Nashville and are looking to greatly increase our portfolio to address Nashville’s affordable housing crisis. We are seeking a full-time Construction Manager to provide professional and managerial work planning, organization, and management for all construction activities to help implement UHS development projects. Work will encompass new construction, rehabilitation, and remodeling in varying stages of development and may include large, technically complex construction projects. The Construction Manager is an important part of the UHS planning and development team. Working under the general direction of the Director of Planning and Development, the Construction Manager independently identifies and minimizes risk, ensures conformance with the project’s design intent, and complete projects on schedule and within budget.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees construction administration phase for new construction and rehabilitation affordable housing projects in development.
- Assists the development team to develop project budgets; solicits proposals, helps negotiate contracts, and provides recommendations for contractor selection; and monitors contractor performance.
- Assists Director of Planning and Development with project management issues and reports progress of project’s schedule and budget; assists with the development of affordable housing projects in development as assigned.
- Performs in-house design consulting and review the design of construction projects; provides technical assistance to UHS staff on project designs, scopes of work, and construction schedule compliance; performs construction schedule analysis on construction projects to avoid delays and recommends corrective action. Coordinates with architectural and engineering consultants when necessary to ensure proper design.
- Oversees and coordinates the permit process for UHS construction projects.
- Manages all close-out activities for UHS construction projects.
- Other job duties and projects as assigned.
- This position requires five to seven years of construction management experience and a bachelor’s degree.
- Extensive experience in construction management – particularly multifamily construction – may be substituted for the degree.
- Broad knowledge of architecture, engineering, and construction.
- Strong preference for those with good computer skills, particularly MS Excel.
- Additional preference for those with proficiency in architectural software, e.g., Revit, SketchUp, Adobe Suite, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with internal and external stakeholders in a professional and positive manner.
- Must be adept at working independently and efficiently to balance multiple concurrent and unrelated projects and tasks and responsibilities. Must have the ability to effectively change priorities quickly and to work cooperatively and proactively with team members to accomplish goals. Flexibility to adjust to departmental priorities is imperative.
- Broad capacity for global thinking and creative problem solving.
- Compassionate, energetic, and team focused.
Work is performed in an office environment but involves regular travel to construction work sites, and will require the ability to climb stairs and negotiate other conditions typical for an active construction site. Work at construction sites is conducted in a variety of weather conditions and the employee is likely to encounter unsanitary and/or unsafe conditions at the construction site. Safety equipment such as a hard hat, goggles, and steel-tipped shoes may be worn. There may be other hazards. Employee must have a current, valid Tennessee driver’s license. Employee is expected to drive a personal vehicle to and from work sites in a variety of weather conditions. Employee must also be able to occasionally lift medium weight objects. Employees are expected to perform their work in such a manner as to eliminate or reduce any potential hazards to an acceptable level. Employees are also expected to report actual or potential hazards to management. Work will generally conform to normal UHS business hours and/or construction project hours.
All employees at UHS are employees at will. The job description outlined above is not intended to represent an absolute or final list of all elements, activities or duties of the job. The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the person assigned to this position.
Candidates for this position must pass a criminal history background and drug test prior to employment with UHS. Urban Housing Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send resume and a cover letter to:
Email: email@example.com (PDFs only, please include “CM” in Subject Line)
Mail: ATTN: Human Resources (Construction Manager)
Urban Housing Solutions
822 Woodland Street
Nashville, TN 37206
No phone calls accepted.