The Enterprise Rose Architectural Fellowship partners emerging architectural designers with local community development organizations to facilitate an inclusive approach to development that results in green, sustainable, and affordable communities. As an integral member of their host organization, fellows integrate design processes, community engagement principles, and creativity into development projects and the organization overall.
By becoming a fellow, you will learn first-hand the dynamics, challenges, and potential of mission-driven real estate finance, maintenance, community organizing, and policy. You also join a growing network of passionate and talented public interest designers who are continuously changing what is possible in community development. Host organizations join the Rose Fellowship for the opportunity to incorporate a designer into their organization and for the challenge of transforming their organizational processes to better include design thinking methodology to design for better outcomes of their developments.
Fellowship opportunities for the 2019-2020 program year are in Atlanta with Atlanta Habitat for Humanity, Cleveland with Burten, Bell, Carr Development, Inc., Green River, Utah with Epicenter, and Ithaca, New York with Ithaca Neighborhood Housing Services.
About Epicenter :
To build the future they envision with their rural community, the small team at Epicenter stewards local creative initiatives in the town of Green River, Utah (pop. 962). For the past nine years, they’ve maintained a holistic approach to our work which they believe to be critical to their success. Art, design, and unconventional thinking are at the core of Epicenter’s processes which have allowed them to achieve things that many thought impossible with such limited resources. Beyond Green River, they advocate for rural communities and contribute to the international dialogue on contemporary place-based work.
As they approach the 10 year anniversary of Epicenter in 2019, they reflect on their successes and learnings as an organization, and recommit themselves to the work they do in Green River. They are focused on ensuring their organizational sustainability and increasing their effectiveness in the community through scaling up their work and focusing their efforts. This is where a Rose Fellow comes in. A Rose Fellow will create housing opportunities in order to achieve stability for their residents. 46% of houses in Green River need significant repairs, 49% of the local population lives in mobile-homes, 57% of mobile-home occupants identify as Hispanic, and only 12 apartment units are available for rent in the entire town; we recognize these needs as opportunities to provide better options for all residents. The Rose Fellow will develop innovative partnerships in order to create more options for our residents. With experimental thinking at the core of their practice, they pair artists/designers with homeowners, explore alternative means of financing, and more, to truly see what works best in their community.
Benefits of becoming a Rose Fellow:
● Two-year fellowship position
● Salary and benefits
● Annual networking and training retreats
● Intensive on-the-ground training in community development
● Professional development stipend and opportunities
● Alumni network of 70+ leaders in public interest design
● Applicants must have an accredited architecture degree in order to be considered for the fellowship, from a NAAB-Accredited Professional Architecture degrees (B.Arch, M.Arch) and is required for all positions unless indicated otherwise.
● Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. for the entire fellowship period
● Architectural, academic and community experience
● Essays and response to work plan
● Design portfolio
● In-person Interview
● Deadline extended to July 22, 2018: Application Deadline at 11:59pm ET
● Late September/Early October: On-site, in-person finalist interviews
● November: Final fellow selection
● January 2019: Fellowship begins for 2-year opportunity
To be considered for the fellowship, you must apply online at https://www.enterprisecommunity.org/solutions-and-innovation/design-leadership/rose-architectural-fellowship/become-a-fellow by July 15th, 2018 at 11:59 pm ET.