Rail~Volution is a network, a resource, and a movement, helping people and institutions build livable communities, connected and complete. Our network and events support communities as they integrate transportation in all forms – including buses, rail, bicycles, walking, sharing, and other emerging options – to connect people with employers and neighborhoods. Even as mobility options are changing, we believe major transit investments are transformative, with the potential to make communities stronger—economically, socially, and environmentally.
Since its founding in 1989, this national not-for-profit has become the place for leaders and practitioners in the public transportation, transit-oriented development, urban design, and community development fields to explore and exchange ideas, challenges, and solutions. Through its annual conference, place-based events and online resources, Rail~Volution serves as a catalyst, promoting and sparking ideas and action for linking land use, transportation, and development to transform communities into more livable, equitable places.
Rail~Volution is poised to grow both its reach and impact, and seeks an associate director to work closely with the CEO to that end. A key responsibility will be leading the new ACT2 place-based program.
Based in Minneapolis, Rail~Volution has a $1.4 million budget, a four-person staff, and long-term relationships with several consultants. Its active board of directors, national steering committee, and partner organizations are critical components of its work. This is a new position, reporting to the CEO. Residence in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area is highly preferred.
* Direct the Accelerate Community Transit and Accelerate Community Transformation (ACT2) program, including working with members of the national steering committee and board of directors to design and implement the program: establishing goals, objectives, action plans, budgets, systems, and evaluation strategy; identifying funding opportunities; managing program implementation and activities; building and nurturing key external relationships; and monitoring and reporting on program results.
* Assist and support the CEO in managing the organization, including developing and tracking the annual work plan, and managing selected internal functions as appropriate.
* Assist and support the CEO with board, committee, and partner engagement, including preparing communications, agendas, and reports; annual interviews with national steering committee members; addressing partner needs and assuring timely collection of partner fees; and developing learning modules for board and steering committee meetings. Staff audit, finance, and ACT2 program committees and ACT2 project advisory groups.
* Advise and support communications manager by providing content expertise.
* A minimum 10 years’ progressively-responsible experience in substantive areas relevant to the position. Demonstrated success in leadership and team-building roles; experience with an organization of national or regional scope preferred as is experience in a not-for-profit. B.A. degree; M.A. preferred.
* Demonstrated success planning and managing complex projects involving multiple parties and competing priorities.
* Superb communications, interpersonal, collaborative, and relationship-building skills; demonstrated ability to work productively with, and facilitate work among, a wide range of stakeholders in diverse settings.
* Available for substantial travel nationally.
The successful candidate will have strong interest in Rail~Volution’s agenda and values, and in working in an ethical and entrepreneurial environment that brings opportunities for shaping and executing strategies as well as for improving operations. She or he will be a creative and strategic thinker equally comfortable in leadership, decision-making, collaborative, and hands-on roles, and will be self-directed, resourceful, and results-driven with the ability to define problems and suggest solutions. Abundant energy and a ready sense of humor will be particularly welcome.
A selection will be made in early August, 2018.
Rail~Volution is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks applicants who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. Those interested in this position may call 612-486-5619 for additional information or e-mail a cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with a copy to email@example.com. www.railvolution.org