In collaboration with the Vice President of Planning & Development, the Commercial Strategist is responsible for implementing the DMC’s strategy for recruiting, supporting, and retaining Downtown businesses and office users. The position is also responsible for administering financial incentive programs, providing small business technical assistance, preparing grant applications, and making regular public presentations to DMC-affiliated boards, neighborhood groups, prospective businesses, and other interested parties. Additionally, the position will actively support the DMC’s work to improve blighted commercial properties through pop-up activation, public art, and other creative approaches.
- Implement the DMC’s Retail Action Plan
- Create and administer financial incentive programs in support of the DMC’s business retention and recruitment strategies.
- Develop and implement strategies to build and maintain strong relationships with Downtown brokers, commercial property owners, and business owners.
- Manage the Open on Main Pop-Up Program.
- Create and administer tools and programs to proactively and creatively market key available properties Downtown.
- Prepare grant applications for special projects and community initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passion for Downtown Memphis.
- Advanced knowledge of market demographics, urban retail trends, and best practices for Downtown development and businesses recruitment.
- Experience writing and/or reviewing commercial leases.
- Master’s degree in a related field and 2 years related work experience OR an Undergraduate degree and a minimum 4 years related work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and evaluating budgets, small business plans, and development pro formas.
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings, such as floor plans and building elevations.
- Must be a self-starter, requiring little to no direct supervision.
- Within 6 months of employment, must reside within Memphis and/or Shelby County, Tennessee.
Office environment plus routine visits to project sites and business locations.
Position salary range is dependent on qualifications and experience.
Application deadline is 4:00 PM on December 19, 2018. If interested in applying, please submit a current resume and cover letter to Ms. Christine Taylor, DMC Office Manager, at email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE