Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Community Development Officer with the Greater Houston LISC office.
Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), widely recognized as the nation’s premier community development intermediary, has a 35+ year history of providing financial and technical assistance to community-based organizations and public entities focused on the redevelopment of urban neighborhoods and rural communities. LISC works in partnership with nonprofits, residents, public sector and private sector entities in Building Sustainable Communities - good places to work, do business and raise children. Our approach is comprehensive – one that values resident involvement and recognizes the importance of an integrated approach to revitalization. We work collaboratively to address housing and commercial development along with family income and asset building, workforce issues, education, economic development and the many aspects of a great neighborhood – places to play, access to health care, community safety and more. For more information about LISC visit www.lisc.org.
The Community Development Officer is a new position and will work with the Houston LISC team to expand capacity for implementing Houston’s comprehensive community development initiative called Great Opportunities Neighborhoods (GO Neighborhoods). The ideal candidate has a wide range of knowledge of community development strategies, skills in community building and building key relationships, experience in program implementation and evaluation. Candidates should also have experience working with diverse populations and knowledge of the Houston community development environment. The Community Development Officer will play a critical role in developing the evaluation tools and data systems in support of Houston LISC’s growing GO Neighborhoods network.
The position offers exposure to a broad range of community development activities and the opportunity to work with a strong team. The position reports to the Houston LISC Executive Director.
Under supervision of Greater Houston LISC Executive Director, the Community Development Officer will:
Work with local stakeholders to deploy comprehensive community development strategies.
- Work with residents and key stakeholders to develop and implement neighborhood- driven plans for comprehensive revitalization.
- Work closely with neighborhood partners to provide community building, programmatic and organizational development expertise, technical assistance, training and support.
- Identify and cultivate partnerships and resources to support neighborhood efforts; manage complex public and public-private partnerships. Maintain positive relationships with core customer base, identifying and responding to new business opportunities, and actively participating in and facilitating meetings and conferences.
Lead creation of enhanced data & evaluation systems.
- Work directly with program staff and GO Neighborhoods partners to understand evaluation models, data-related areas of inquiry, and related topics to build local capacity to design, implement and document effective community development practice.
- Serve as liaison with evaluation and data intermediaries working with Houston LISC’s program-related evaluation, and consult research partners as needed.
- Assist with compiling and maintaining historical data for GO Neighborhoods to track investment, leverage and program outputs.
- Work with program and communication staff to analyze both qualitative and quantitative data to prepare balanced documentation of program outcomes.
- Develop effective avenues for storytelling of best practices and impact to raise LISC’s profile, assist in fundraising efforts, and acknowledge successful comprehensive model.
Manage internal LISC processes.
- Prepare and manage program budgets, in consultation with the Executive Director, Community Development Officer and relevant team members.
- Work with team to raise additional resources for the initiative. Assist to prepare funding proposals, applications, reports, presentations, and tours as required by funders, investors, LISC National and others.
- Prepare, monitor, track and administer LISC investments, performance and outcomes. Hire and manage consultants and their budgets.
- Support Houston LISC’s communications strategy as it relates to GO Neighborhoods including on-line communications and quarterly newsletters.
- Collaborate and coordinate with colleagues in the Houston LISC office regarding other technical assistance, programmatic and real estate investments in GO Neighborhoods.
- Assume responsibility for other projects and assignments, as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters’ Degree in urban studies, business administration, real estate finance, planning, social work, public administration or other areas that complement LISC’s work preferred.
- 5 years’ experience in in diverse urban environments with a successful track record developing and leading programs in community/economic development, data and evaluation, community organizing and engagement, and/or human capital development.
- Self-directed, solution-oriented, problem solver who takes initiative and is interested in helping to create systems and processes to support this position. Strong managerial and facilitation skills with the ability to motivate LISC and our clients’ staff, create an exciting business environment.
- Embrace and promote a culture of individual and shared trust and accountability– internally and externally. Ability to organize people into a team and motivate them to work intently and efficiently together. Commitment to an inclusive, community-based, resident-driven model of community planning and decision-making.
- Flexibility and poise in dealing with a diverse range of individuals and organizations, including foundations, public agencies, corporate leaders, community development organizations and neighborhood residents.
- Working knowledge of the economic, political, and social environments of under-resourced neighborhoods and Houston preferred. A demonstrated interest in and commitment to the revitalization of low and moderate-income urban/ rural communities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment with minimal supervision and capacity to simultaneously work on multiple tasks and projects and set priorities for a challenging workload.
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with clients and colleagues, present information, and write cohesive reports for various audiences. This requires excellent research, writing, analytical, and organizational skills and detailed and timely attention to reporting requirements and deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite of programs and social media. Candidate must also have the capacity to learn and navigate new software required for all LISC employees and for specific program initiatives. Competence in data aggregation and visualization products desired.
- Must have a good sense of humor, ability to work in a dynamic environment,
LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. This position may be hired at the Program Officer level or Senior Program Officer level depending on depth of experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample. Use the cover letter to describe what in your professional background demonstrates the competencies sought and what interests you most about working for Houston LISC.
Send all materials VIA E-MAIL to: HoustonHR@lisc.org
Please type "Community Development Officer" in the subject line of the e-mail.
ONLY E-MAIL APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED - No Phone Calls Please
Local Initiatives Support Corporation – Greater Houston
1111 North Loop West, Ste. 740
Houston, TX 77008
www.lisc.org AND www.lisc.org/houston
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION