ABOUT THE HARRIS COUNTY JUDGE
The County Judge is not a judicial position. It is instead the county executive, and the head of Harris County’s governing body, called the County Commissioners Court. The County Judge and four County Commissioners oversee a $4.3 billion budget that helps pay for key services in Harris County - from the justice system, to flood control, infrastructure, and public hospitals. Harris County is the third largest and most diverse county in the nation - with a population of greater than 4.5 million people - equivalent to the population of Colorado.
Judge Elect Hidalgo has a bold, new vision for what is possible through Harris County government. As a member of the County Judge’s leadership team, the Counsel will advise the County Judge and her staff on a wide range of legal, financial, and policy matters. The Counsel must have impeccable integrity and courage, have excellent communications skills, be a skilled administrator and have experience in a broad set of legal, policy, financial and political matters. Further, the Counsel must be innovative, creative, wise and thoughtful to help the Judge and her staff move Harris County government forward on a path to progressive leadership and more equitable, efficient and effective government services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide legal counsel to the County Judge and her staff on all matters
• Work closely with legal counsel to others including Harris County Commissioners, the County Attorney, the District Attorney and Harris County agencies and affiliated entities
• Work closely with, and be a resource to, the County Judge’s policy team on a broad range of strategic and emergent issues
• Assure a sound legal framework for key initiatives and policies, consistent with the County Judge’s values of equity, transparency, and resilience
• Develop risk analysis and risk mitigation strategies as needed
• Serve in a leadership position on intergovernmental issues including oversight of the legislative relationship team
• Oversee compliance with all aspects of applicable laws including Harris County’s Ethics Policy including employee training and ethics
• Undergraduate degree and law degree; admission to State Bar of Texas strongly preferred
• 10 years of experience in relevant positions with increasing levels of responsibility
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Proven track record in providing legal counseling, guidance, and wisdom to governments and/or complex organizations
• Proven ability to meet multiple deadlines and balance numerous projects in a fast-paced and changing environment
• Ability to develop and drive new initiatives, work cross-departmentally, work within multidisciplinary teams, oversee projects to completion and measure results
• Ability to demonstrate a strong sense of urgency and initiative; highly organized and with the ability to achieve systematic delivery under tight deadlines
• Ability to prioritize effectively; superb time management skills
• Excellent teamwork skills and ability to work autonomously with accountability
• A good sense of humor and comfort with change; must possess agility to adapt to and lead through change.
• Ability to find support (including pro-bono resources) throughout the legal community
• Ability to increase transparency and remain accountable to the people of Harris County
• Ability to be innovative and creative in developing innovations, solutions and funding sources
• A driving interest in developing successful working relationships with governments at every level throughout Harris County, Texas and the U.S.
This position will require many meetings across Harris County outside normal business hours.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Harris County is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Accordingly, the County judges applicants and employees on individual merit and qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information. The only exceptions are based on bona fide occupational qualifications.
Please send cover letter and resume to HCRecruit@hctx.net with the position to which you are applying in the subject header.