About PolicyMap, INC
PolicyMap is a national online mapping tool and platform that enables government, commercial, non-profit and academic institutions to access data about communities and markets across the US. It is used for research, market studies, business planning, site selection, grant applications and impact analysis. We offer access to the PolicyMap tool through subscriptions and enterprise access, license the underlying data in our platform and help organizations and companies bring interactive mapping to their own websites. Launched in 2008, PolicyMap now has hundreds of customers, including federal, state and local government agencies, major universities, non-profit organizations, and commercial firms spanning real estate, banking and health care. PolicyMap is a Benefit Corporation founded on the belief that data has the power to change communities and markets. The problem is that getting that information is not simple or efficient. Data and analytics need to be reliable, consistent, and relevant. They need to be readily accessible. And they need to be responsive to the issues public and civic organizations are trying to understand. Changes in technology and the expansion of online mapping applications are creating new opportunities for the public and civic sectors to increase their ability to use and share good data and analytics to inform decisions.
PolicyMap seeks a Data Services Analyst to contribute to the Data Services Team within the Data and Content Development Department by providing data and mapping services to PolicyMap clients by interpreting their needs and providing a work product consistent with the expectations of the client and of the Team. The Data Services Analyst will have direct contact with existing PolicyMap clients and potential clients and will be responsible for acquiring, assessing and processing customer data, serving various levels of PolicyMap customers, ranging from Premium Subscribers to Data API users. Because PolicyMap customers include government agencies, universities, non-profit organizations and commercial firms, the Data Services Analyst must have an aptitude for conceptualizing data related to a variety of topics related to housing, poverty and health, to name a few.
Reporting to the Data Services Lead, the Data Services Analyst will procure customer datasets, analyze and process them using MS SQL Server Management Studio, MS Access and ArcGIS. He/she needs to have strong writing and communication skills and the ability to translate technical data descriptions provided by customers into user friendly text accessible to a wide audience.
The Data and Content Development Department prizes attention to detail; enthusiasm for our products our clients are core values. We work well independently, and we take ownership of our individual workloads, while leveraging the strengths of our team members through collaboration. The 6-person Data and Content Development Dept is agile, creative, and uses the best tools and approaches at hand for each task. PolicyMap’s office in Midtown Village provides a casual-dress work environment that matches our creative, collaborative culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Customer Data Set Processing
· Procure, process and document subscriber datasets of varying sizes using SQL, MS Access and ArcGIS
· Communicate with the Tech Team to ensure data appears properly in PolicyMap
· Author documentation of process and dataset indicators
· Provide validation and quality assurance of datasets
· Validate other team members’ datasets
Customer Data Services
· Manage custom project work, working iteratively, from initial scope development to final deliverable
· Serve as primary client contact for many of PolicyMap’s subscribers
· Advise clients with preparation of their subscriber dataset, separate mapping interface and/or enterprise license
· Provide trainings and Q&A sessions to familiarize customers with their own data on PolicyMap
· Brainstorm with Data and Content Development Team about new functionality and site improvements
· Write articles and contribute ideas for the PolicyMap blogs
· Provide occasional online trainings to prospective PolicyMap users
· Contribute to Mapchats webinar series effort
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor’s degree required with preference for Master’s Degree in urban planning, public policy, health services research, economics, public health, anthropology, sociology, demography or other related fields
· Two years’ commensurate work experience required (can include internships)
· Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
· Strong project management skills
· Demonstrated proficiency and experience required with GIS (ArcGIS), SQL and/or MS Access, or other relational databases; one or more statistical software programs (SPSS, SAS, R) a plus
· Experience using federal data, such as U.S. Census and Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
· Familiarity with current public policy issues and community development concerns
· Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
· Excellent technical and compositional writing skills
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ownership/Accountability – Actively manages work and issues through to completion.
· Customer Service – Understands and manages customer expectations.
· Initiative – Anticipates and communicates challenges and opportunities.
· Commitment – Demonstrates sense of passion and urgency for work, mission and organization.
· Adaptability – Sees opportunity and risk for continuous improvement.
· Efficiency and Productivity – Determines priorities and allocates time and focus accordingly.
· Professional/Technical Expertise – Understands and applies technical/procedural knowledge of job.
Compensation and Benefits:
PolicyMap, Inc. offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, and transportation), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, and EAP program.
Please mail, email, or fax resume with cover letter, salary requirement and research and/or writing sample to:
Vice President, Data and Content Development
1315 Walnut Street, Suite 1500
Philadelphia, PA 19107
PolicyMap, Inc. uses E-Verify to validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. PolicyMap, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PolicyMap, Inc. does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.