Seeking: Design Associate - Designer
The buildingcommunityWORKSHOP ([bc]) is a Texas based nonprofit community design center seeking to improve the livability and viability of communities through the practice of thoughtful design and making. [bc] has offices in Dallas, Brownsville, and Houston, TX and in Washington DC.
[bc] is currently seeking one associate to work on architectural and urban design projects in the Brownsville office.
Position Title: Design Associate
No. of Positions: 1
Location: Brownsville, TX
Start Date: January, 2018
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
MAIN PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The work we do is impactful. It is fun. It is challenging. It is rewarding. As a design associate, you will work with people in places where design services are typically not accessible. As a design associate, you will be responsible for phases of a project ranging from working in communities to understand that place, listening to people about their needs and preferences, and using that information to serve a need. As a design associate, you must be able to communicate with people who are not designers and may have not ever been part of a design discussion.
This position requires the ability to apply a diverse set of skills to a diverse set of issues. What that means is that you may work on the design of a building, a public space, go to a community meeting, research code or policy, design a flyer, advise a coworker, and get direction from a supervisor in the same day. Other days you may just do one thing. The ability to be nimble but remain focused is paramount.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The design associate will be responsible for the following as part of their day-to-day:
- Design of affordable single family and multi-family housing using [bc] sustainable house process
- Lead projects including but not limited to project; set up, scheduling, budgeting, impact and management.
- Support the design, engagement, and implementation of architectural and/or urban design initiatives, some travel to project sites required.
- Interface with clients + committees
- Research and build local knowledge for organization
- Support the organization by assisting on projects in other geographies
- Build community relationships
- A commitment to people and place with a strong interest in public interest design
- Undergraduate or Masters degree in architecture, or other related fields
- 3-5 years’ experience in architecture in all aspects of project management, design, documentation, and construction
- Sound analytical, creative, decision-making and strategic skills.
- Strong visual communication skills and graphic talent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research skills
- Comfort with public speaking
- Experience with direct civic engagement, including but not limited to: organizing a design charrette or workshop, hosting a community forum.
- An undying passion for public design, and hearty work ethic
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite, GIS, AutoCAD, and Archicad and/or Revit
- Verbal and written Spanish proficiency preferred
- Eligible and authorized to work in the USA
- Healthcare coverage paying 100% of the Blue Cross Blue Shield HSA Plan for you as an individual
- Reimbursement not to exceed $500 annually for professional development;
- 80 hours vacation
- 40 hours PTO/Sick
- Paid Holidays (Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, New Year’s Day)
- Summer Break - organization determined
- Winter Break - organization determined
- 1 floating Faith Holiday (Good Friday, Yom Kippur, etc)
Position is full time employment
Please email one file containing an interest letter, resume, and work samples (10mb maximum file size) to: Kristy Ramirez (no phone calls please) at email@example.com. Please reference “Design Associate” in the subject line of your email.
buildingcommunityWORKSHOP provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.