Kounkuey Design Initiative is looking for an exceptional individual to fill the role of Development and Communications Coordinator. The ideal candidate will be interested in and knowledgeable of the design and community development professions, and excited to take on the challenge of growing this position and department within the organization.
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) is an award-winning non-profit design and community development organization that partners with underserved communities in the US, Africa, and Latin America to physically transform communities and in the process, improve environmental, economic, and social quality of life.
The architects, urban planners, community organizers, and engineers that make up our team believe participatory design and long-term investment are key to sustainable development. Working collaboratively with communities, we help residents identify priority needs and create and implement design-based solutions that meet those needs.
KDI is headquartered in Los Angeles and has a thriving office in Nairobi, Kenya. For more information about the organization, please visit www.kounkuey.org.
This is not a conventional position, because this is not a conventional organization. The Development and Communications Coordinator will coordinate with all departments, report to the Executive Director (ED), and work closely with the Associate Director, and Design and Planning Directors. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work from our Kenya office for a few weeks each year. The candidate must be an innovative and strategic thinker, who will support the design and implementation of KDI's communications and fund-development strategies. This is a tremendous opportunity for an emerging communications and development leader to strengthen and build the evolving, internal capacity of a highly innovative, dynamic, and high-impact organization, as well as advance their professional capabilities.
· Research, prepare and write grant proposals for US and Kenya offices, in coordination with program staff. Manage and draft reports to funders.
· Maintain and build fund development best practices, systems, procedures, and policies.
· Manage data processing, tracking, and recognition systems for donors, including donor correspondence, donor database management, and gifts processing/entry/tracking/acknowledgement.
· Develop annual and multiyear fundraising plans with measurable outcomes and benchmarks.
· Train and coach KDI staff and volunteer leaders in fundraising strategies, cultivation, and solicitation. Help build an organization-wide culture of philanthropy.
· Draft content for and oversee management of online communications (website, newsletter, blog, and social media) to drive interest, awareness and support for KDI.
· Compose strong, effective internal and external communications content and correspondence with audience-specific styles, at the same time ensuring key message alignment.
· Lead the development and distribution of promotional materials such as annual reports, flyers, marketing collateral, presentations and handouts for a broad range of internal (staff, board members, etc.) and external (funders, donors, news media, etc.) audiences.
· Develop presentations, including talking points, PowerPoints, and other materials for the Executive Director that advance public awareness and support of KDI.
· Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
· Three+ years of professional experience in the non-profit sector
· Excellent written communication skills (English); ability to compose, edit, and proofread materials
· Development experience a plus
· Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
· Excellent project management and planning skills. Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects within deadlines; self-motivated
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; highly organized
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of internal and external audiences
· A strategic thinker with a proactive approach to problem solving
· Willingness to travel and to communicate cross-culturally and across multiple time zone
· Personal qualities of integrity and dedication to the mission of KDI
Employment type: Full Time
Salary range: Competitive salary and benefits package
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Chelina Odbert, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org