ABOUT THE HARRIS COUNTY JUDGE
The County Judge is not a judicial position. It is instead the county executive, and the head of Harris County’s governing body, called the County Commissioners Court. The County Judge and four County Commissioners oversee a $4.3 billion budget that helps pay for key services in Harris County - from the justice system, to flood control, infrastructure, and public hospitals. Harris County is the third largest and most diverse county in the nation - with a population of greater than 4.5 million people - equivalent to the population of Colorado.
We are looking for a strong senior strategist to develop a proactive communications strategy that aligns with the newly elected Harris County Judge’s vision for a new county administration that governs with equity, transparency and in service to the needs of all those who reside in the nation’s third largest county. The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive communications strategy, messaging, and planning special events for the Harris County Judge.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and execute a proactive communications strategy and key messaging
• Respond to media inquiries and establish strong working relationships with key local and national journalists
• Identify media opportunities and speaking engagements for the Harris County Judge
• Ability to coordinate with county departments, as well as other local, state, and the federal government offices, to create a strategy for and lead the response to crisis situations
• Develop a robust social media strategy and digital operation
• Create content and oversee production of videos and photography, including writing scripts and planning shoots
• Prepare talking points and speeches
• Serve as a spokesperson for the Harris County Judge, as needed
• Set quantitative and qualitative metrics to evaluate communications strategies and seek new ways improve outreach to Harris County residents and/or specific constituencies
• Develop and manage the Harris County Judge’s communications budget in coordination with the Chief of Staff and the Management and Budget Officer
• Manage vendors and independent contractors, including photographers, videographers, online marketing consultants, and web developers
• Ensure translation and interpretation services are available at public events and activities
• Supervise the Communications team
• Minimum of seven years of previous public relations work or communications experience
• Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills, along with the ability to manage stressful situations
• Excellent judgment, integrity and commitment to personal responsibility and accountability
• A solid track record of media placements
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make complex issues understandable and relevant to external audiences
• Ability to prioritize projects, meet deadlines and to work collaboratively as part of a team
• Passion for improving quality of life for the people of Harris County
• Respect for diversity and knowledge of the region’s demographics
• Fluency in Spanish a plus
This position will require many meetings across Harris County outside normal business hours.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Harris County is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Accordingly, the County judges applicants and employees on individual merit and qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information. The only exceptions are based on bona fide occupational qualifications.
Please send cover letter and resume to HCRecruit@hctx.net with the position to which you are applying in the subject header.