The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society seeks a Shows & Events Programming Specialist who will gain hands-on professional development and valuable experience in event planning for a thriving nonprofit organization. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team. You will assist and support with planning, coordination and production of the Philadelphia Flower Show, recently awarded the Grand Pinnacle Gold Award for best overall event in the world, and various other PHS events throughout the year.
The successful candidate should have the ability to manage administrative and logistical duties in a busy special events environment, as well as anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with little supervision. He/she should be able to provide outstanding customer service and be an enthusiastic professional who is capable of building relationships with both internal and external partners. Candidates with knowledge of the Philadelphia Flower Show are encouraged to apply. Some nighttime and evening work is required.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong interest in creative event development who wants to get a better understanding of the behind the scenes world of events. The Event Programming Specialist will have the benefit of learning critical event programming, organizing and planning skills from experienced staff. The Event Programming Specialist will report to the Associate Director of Event Programming.
- Assist the Associate Director of Event Programming with the planning and development of creative ideas that will enhance the guest experience at the Philadelphia Flower Show and other PHS Events, including the PHS Pop Up Gardens.
- Assist with planning, coordination, production, execution, on-site management, and recap of events of various size, scope and purpose.
- Conduct research, make site visits, and find resources to help staff make decisions about planned and potential events.
- Assist with researching and preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports to staff directors for each event project.
- Propose new ideas, based on shared experience, to improve the event planning and implementation process.
This position has no direct reports
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required.
· Experience in planning and coordinating special events, managing volunteers, or working with fundraising or sponsorships.
· Passion for special event management and planning.
· Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments simultaneously.
· Fantastic customer service skills and high expectations for quality.
· Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism.
· Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof reading skills, and speaking.
· Strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and an ability to meet deadlines.
· Be a self-starter able to take initiative on individual projects, ability to accomplish projects with little supervision.
· Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality; sense of humor is highly encouraged.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred
· Full time, exempt—40 hours per week
· Occasional work days with longer hours, required during Flower Show dates
· Occasional evenings and weekends, required during Flower Show dates
· Must be able to endure extended periods of walking and/or standing
Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 6 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. This may include traveling to and from meetings and air travel. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments and locations on a timely basis.
Must have an ability to lift heavy staging equipment on occasion.
Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, pulling, pushing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
PHS offers a competitive salary and benefits package
PHS is an equal opportunity employer