Reporting to the EVP, District Councils, and Chair, ULI Los Angeles, the Executive Director is responsible for leading the District Council’s program of work, including developing and executing strategies that manage the District Council and Institute resources, expertise, and leadership to constructively impact local and regional development issues and land use policies.
The Executive Director will be
charged with the oversight and coordination of the various activities of the
District Council, including programs, membership, corporate and program
sponsorships, communications, public relations and general management of
The candidate must have strong
organizational and management skills, but at the same time must be able to “see
the big picture” and think and act in a visionary manner. He or she must also have an entrepreneurial
spirit, the ability to multi-task and respond to situations quickly and the
ability to present to groups, manage public meetings and serve alongside
District Council Leadership as a “face" of the organization. A background
working with volunteers who include business professionals, public officials,
corporate executives, and senior members of the real estate community is highly
- Develop and implement a program of work, budget and a staffing plan for the District Council that provides for clear outcomes and methods to measure success.
· Develop and promote strategies that direct the Los Angeles District Council and Institute resources, expertise and leadership to the issues affecting land use policies through education forums, community initiatives, conferences, meetings, programs, publications and other sources.
· Work in concert with District Council Leadership to advance a comprehensive sponsorship program that provides a robust, sustainable platform for staff and programs, including the support and oversight of volunteers that are working to secure sponsors.
· Implement a comprehensive membership program that engages the membership committee as well as the YLG and other Committees in efforts to maintain and enhance existing members, expand new memberships, and encourage upgraded memberships, such as from associate member to full member; provide opportunities for active member voluntary engagement in our program of work, and incorporate strategies that enhance the diversity of the membership.
· Foster and maintain key external strategic alliances with other professional, academic, public sector and non-profit organizations.
· Support the Chair, Advisory Board and Management and Governance Committees in administration, leadership development and succession.
· Oversee, with District Council staff, the implementation of the District Council’s program of work, including the following:
o Programs and events throughout the region focused on, among other subjects, Real Estate Trends, Sustainability/SmartGrowth, Housing, Infrastructure and Capital Markets
o Young Leader Events
o Policy & Practice Initiatives
o Local Technical Advisory Panels “TAPs”
o Local Member Product Councils (Housing, Capital Markets, Leadership, others)
o Women’s Leadership Initiative
o Communications and Social Media
o ULI Los Angeles Annual Report
· Manage the ULI Los Angeles office and staff, currently a senior director, a senior associate and an associate.
· Serve as an innovative model and expert resource for other District Councils across the country.
This position is an outstanding opportunity for a well-regarded member of the land use and development community to expand upon the success of ULI Los Angeles and its strong membership base. Requirements include:
· Bachelor’s degree in real estate, urban planning or business/public administration or related field; an advanced degree is desirable.
· ULI membership experience highly desirable.
· Working knowledge of the Metropolitan Los Angeles real estate community, ULI and programs is highly desired.
· Highly motivated leader who thrives in a team environment; multi-task oriented; self-motivated and takes pride in his/her accomplishments.
· Ability to effectively manage a myriad of issues and to establish and meet priorities.
· Experience in the preparation and management of annual budget and financial statements; fiscally responsible.
· Ability to work effectively with people at all levels, including but not limited to corporate leaders, politicians, educators, public officials, etc.
· Experience recruiting, managing, developing and leading a staff.
· Ability to plan and oversee high-quality events in support of the District Council.
· Ability to grow and retain membership and sponsorship base.
· Proven track record in strategic planning and execution of sound business plans.
· Ability to communicate at all levels openly and effectively in both oral and written forms.
· Highest level of honesty and integrity.
· Computer savvy, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Available for moderate travel throughout the greater Los Angeles region; periodic visits to ULI’s headquarters in Washington D.C.; attendance at ULI’s annual Fall Meeting and Spring Council Forum and periodic meetings with surrounding District Councils.
Expand HR Consulting has been retained to assist ULI with this search. Please submit your resume and letter of introduction to Erica Thomas, Senior Consultant, email@example.com subject line “ED, ULI Los Angeles”. EOE/m/f/d/v.