About Citi Bike:
Citi Bike, headquartered in Industry City in Brooklyn, is the nation’s largest and fastest growing bike share system. Citi Bike is responsible for everything from deploying, maintaining and repositioning the program’s bikes and stations to marketing the program and delivering customer service through our in-person, call center and digital channels. Citi Bike is thriving with record ridership and membership as the program grows from 6,000 bikes in 2015 to 12,000 by the end of 2017.
Citi Bike’s parent company, Motivate Co., also oversees operations and/or supplies technology for many of the other major bike share programs around the world including Boston; Washington DC; Chicago; the Bay Area; Portland; London; Montreal; Melbourne and Abu Dhabi.
Overview of Position:
The General Manager leads the overall Citi Bike operation with full P&L responsibility for the New York business. The General Manager oversees both daily operations as well as a full set of marketing and support functions for a total team of over 400 staff during peak season.
Operational responsibilities include leading the following teams: Expansion and Station Deployment, Station Technology, Bike Fleet, Customer Service (Call Center) and Service Delivery (managing the 24/7 operations and distribution of bikes throughout the system). The role also supervises the finance, HR, sales and marketing teams.
This role offers a rare opportunity to have end to end responsibility for a high profile and hugely popular transit mode in NYC that is in the midst of ongoing expansion and development. The General Manager will drive industry leading initiatives to help Citi Bike deliver for its customers and other stakeholders. These initiatives will include growing a promising customer incentive demand management program; strengthening the implementation of real time analytical tools for optimizing bike distribution; enhancing the use of predictive maintenance approaches for bikes and stations; and further developing pricing, sales and marketing strategies.
The incumbent General Manager is transitioning to lead the teams from all cities operated by Motivate and will closely support the successful candidate during his or her transition.
- Lead overall P&L business performance
- Lead operations departments: Service Delivery (including dispatch and bike rebalancing), Station Technology, Bike Fleet, Customer Service, Expansion and Station Deployment
- Lead finance, HR, sales and marketing functions for Citi Bike
- Relentlessly assess and improve how Citi Bike delivers a world leading customer experience
- Lead critical industry shaping initiatives around dynamic demand management, predictive maintenance and optimizationDevelop a talented team of direct reports and foster a customer focused performance culture across the entire organization
- Represent Citi Bike to external public and private stakeholders
- Ensure safe workplace conditions and OHS compliance.
- Undergraduate degree in business, communication, design, operations, science, policy, engineering or related field; graduate degree preferred
- 8 years+ of customer focused operations background, including proven experience managing large field or logistics operations
- Ability to guide a dynamic and growing business based on rigorous data capture, analysis and feedback loops. Experience in a top tier data driven professional environment (e.g., consulting, investment banking) a strong plus
- Ability to coordinate and maintain strong ongoing relationships among multiple parties, including employees, suppliers, subcontractor(s) and public sector stakeholders
- Excellent organization, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical ability
- Comfortable leading teams in a high-pressure, high-visibility, start-up environment