Job Title: Government Relations Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Status: Full Time, Permanent
Application Deadline: August 3, 2018
Start Date: September 24, 2018
About the Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) is a community of local independent businesses that demonstrates the degree to which businesses can build profitable enterprises while serving community needs, sharing wealth, and protecting the environment. SBN’s mission is to build a just, green, and thriving economy in the Greater Philadelphia region. Since 2001, SBN has been the region’s leading advocacy and membership organization for businesses committed to improving their environmental and social impact as well as their profitability.
SBN offers a variety of programming to our members and the broader local business community throughout the year:
* We connect members with each other, as well as decision makers, to exchange learnings and best practices, bond over commonalities, and discuss how policies and processes could better support the local impact economy to grow and thrive.
* We promote our members within and outside of our network, as well as the strengths of a local economy and triple bottom line practices.
* SBN advocates on members’ behalf throughout the year to ensure that local independently-owned and sustainably-minded businesses are fully supported to start, grow, and thrive.
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) is seeking a Government Relations Manager to oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of all advocacy and government relations activities; and to work with the Executive Director and the rest of the SBN team to bring the organization into its next growth phase.
Our ideal candidate is a strategic self-starter and organizer, with an aptitude for recognizing opportunities and translating ideas into action; is skilled at cultivating and maintaining strong, long-term relationships; is measured and remains diplomatic when met with conflict; embraces responsibility and maintains ownership and accountability of his/her/their work; is able to prioritize while remaining adaptable; and has strong creative problem-solving abilities. Our ideal candidate also has a propensity for data and research; has a knack for synthesizing information to identify themes and focus on the essence of an issue; communicates effectively in a variety of forums with diverse stakeholders in government and the business community; and has strong writing skills.
The person in this position is part of the management team, and as such, is a thought partner on key strategic and organizational decisions.
Under the leadership of the Executive Director, and in close collaboration and cooperation with other SBN staff, the Government Relations Manager will be responsible for the following, and other related duties as needed:
* Serve as a strategic leader, overseeing the development, implementation, and evaluation of all advocacy and government relations-related activities
* Build and maintain positive relationships with elected and non-elected decision-makers in the city and region
* Engage and organize members and other stakeholders on issues that impact the growth of a just, green, and thriving economy in the region
* Facilitate dialogue between members and decision-makers via the Entrepreneurs’ Roundtables and other forums
* Represent SBN on relevant external committees, advisory groups, and the like
* Track relevant research and reports, best practices, public policy, and government funding; synthesize to identify trends and potential opportunities and challenges
* Prepare written materials, such as white papers, for external use; work with communications team to strategize distribution
* Maintain compliance with all applicable lobbying and ethics laws
* Maintain department budget
Additional qualifications for this position to what is noted above include:
* Demonstrated commitment to SBN’s values and mission
* Experience working with elected and non-elected decision-makers
* Experience working with the business community preferred
* Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, or other relevant field
* 3 to 5 years relevant experience
* Ability to be flexible with morning and evening hours as needed
* Ability to attend off-site functions
* Familiarity with SalesForce or similar CRM preferred
SBN values diversity, equity, and inclusion in all our work, and encourages applications from women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups.
To apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample as a single .pdf to email@example.com, with the subject line “SBN Government Relations Manager: Last name, First name