envelope A+D is in search of a Program Designer / Event Planner to join a team of passionate architects and designers working on unconventional place-making projects throughout the Bay Area.
The role will primarily consist of the ideation, planning, and execution of high-level cultural programs at multiple high-profile sites in San Francisco and the East Bay. The work will include everything from working with local organizations to produce community-serving events, to coordinating job training series, curating and producing film festivals and public art installations, and wrangling a full-scale circus. In each case, the events and activations that you lead will be designed to shape how the unique sites under our management are perceived and understood within the larger context of the Bay Area. Salient examples of our work can be found at PROXYsf.net and nowhunterspoint.org
This position is a critical role in an architecture + place making studio that adheres to a design approach that emphasizes active community participation as a mechanism to understand the needs of a given neighborhood or region. Over the past five years, the scope and reach of envelope A+D’s programming has grown considerably, encompassing sites in Hayes Valley and Hunters Point, San Francisco, as well as Berkeley and Oakland in the East Bay. Today, we produce activations year round, and are well known for our work in cultural programming and activation. This position will have the opportunity to help direct and influence our rapidly evolving, highly innovative design and programming strategy across the next phase of growth.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in programming, cultural curation, and event / activation planning and execution. They will also have a familiarity with the activation of urban spaces, a healthy mix of hard and soft skills, and an enthusiasm for working on the ground to realize events / actions / interventions in close partnership with multiple communities. If you can direct an installation crew in the morning and participate in critical discussions about the identity of the city in the afternoon, we are looking for you!
| RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Develop robust calendars of events + activations for interim use spaces
- Event scheduling, management + outreach support
- Identify + develop potential program partners
- Build + maintain relationships to existing program and arts community partners
- Regular engagement with community members
- Provide primary point of contact for inquiries + concerns related to interim use
- Spatial planning + management + maintenance for interim use spaces
- Manage the planning, logistics and event coordination of public programs.
- Manage event logistics, production schedules and vendor communication.
- Ensure the success of the event series, be prepared to troubleshoot any problems and provide attendee support.
- Collect data and feedback from event attendees.
- Prepare event supplies and lead on-site setup/breakdown.
- Identify key channels for reaching target audiences.
| REQUIREMENTS |
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field (PREFERRED)
- Ability to work long weeks, nights, and weekends during peak programming months
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort with public speaking
- Highly organized + self-directed
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Ability to work with communities of various ages and backgrounds
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to problem solve on the fly
- Highly motivated, detail oriented and organized
HOW TO APPLY
| TO APPLY |
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “program designer” ; applicants may also submit a portfolio no larger than 10mb for consideration if they wish.
Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
Health, Vision, Dental, 401k