Project Development Coordinator for Planning
The Planning, Parklands and Policy units of the Planning and Development Division serve as NYC Parks’ planning, real estate, environmental review, development and long-range strategy teams. The units represent the agency’s involvement in complex planning and development initiatives, environmental reviews, land use matters and resiliency efforts. They facilitate the creation of plans for new and existing parks, and advise on funding strategies. In doing so, Planning, Parklands and Policy are at the forefront of the agency’s open space agenda. They are responsible for communicating agency goals and policies and advancing plans for a vibrant, equitable, and sustainable park system that meets the recreational, social and environmental needs of our City. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
• Working as a Senior Project Planner, under general direction with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, manage a portfolio of park planning projects, major economic development projects and special initiatives for the Planning, Parklands and Policy units.
• Promote open space acquisitions, increased recreation amenities and enhanced stewardship of natural resources.
• Coordinate with stakeholders and project partners; help foster long-lasting relationships and advance the planning and implementation of Parks’ open space agenda within the context of assigned planning projects.
• Deliver presentations and represent the agency at project meetings, interagency planning meetings and external conferences. Negotiate and advocate on behalf of Parks.
• Maintain regular communication and coordination with supervisors, colleagues and Parks divisions on public and private development projects.
• Research, analyze, frame and document opportunities for funding strategies and new projects that advance the agency's open space agenda.
• Prepare, read and assess planning documents, environmental studies and land use review documents to advance Parks' role as either an applicant or involved agency.
• Prepare briefing memoranda, maps and graphics, project schedules, budget proposals, funding requests, correspondence, reports, presentations and other related documents for portfolios of complex land use projects.
• Manage consultants working on planning documents, Uniform Land Use Review Procedure applications and environmental reviews.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
1. A master’s degree in urban planning or related field.
2. Strategic and analytic thinking skills and superior judgment.
3. Strong mapping and graphic skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, mapping and graphics programs.
4. Strong writing, communication and negotiation skills.
5. Excellent time management and prioritization capabilities.
6. Ability to communicate with and recognize the needs of supervisors and peers.
7. Valid New York State driver license.
Salary: $51,369 - $79,741 plus excellent benefits
Apply by: 10/05/18
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 365408
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.