The incumbent of this position will serve in the role of International Business Manager. The International Business Manager at DMPED is responsible for planning all international trade missions and international delegations received by the DMPED, managing the contract with the District’s international trade offices in China, and partnering with local, national and international agencies to further promote the District’s international business development efforts. Some agency partners include the District’s Department of Small and Local Business Development’s ExportDC program, the DC Chamber of Commerce international export assistance initiatives, Destination DC and Select USA.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Represent the District to international businesses and investors interested in exploring opportunities within the District.
· Plan and execute all international trade missions.
· Attract foreign investors to invest in District (ex. real estate transactions, mergers and acquisitions).
· Monitor foreign direct investments and related trends to inform outreach to and prospect development for FDI.
· Oversee and manage contracts with overseas international trade offices. Explore the viability of new overseas international trade offices.
· Develop a performance monitoring system for the international trade offices and evaluate the offices along those criteria.
· Work with government agencies and private partners to roll out joint initiatives that promote international business.
· Implement elements of the Mayor’s Economic Strategy that pertain to international business development, and on an as needed basis, manage business prospects considering relocation or expansion within the District.
· Assist with the overall business development efforts of DMPED.
· Bachelor’s degree required, graduate level degree preferred.
· At least five years of experience in related business including international business development, consulting, or economic development.
· Project management experience required.
· Comfort and experience with spreadsheets, database and presentation applications, including Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
· Experience developing and executing an international business and/or foreign direct investment attraction strategy.
· Presentation and public speaking experience; advocacy and promotion.
· Familiarity with the District of Columbia’s neighborhoods.
· Understanding and experience in economic development and international business development.
· Strong project management experience required.
· Strong market research skills.
· Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple tasks in fast paced environment.
- Understanding of District economic development issues, neighborhoods and business development market.
- Ability to take initiative and set and meet independent goals.
- Ability to communicate and build partnerships with different constituencies.
- Positive attitude and problem solver.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to market a product successfully.
- Ability to converse with business leaders at all levels and sectors.
- Ability and willingness to conduct international travel.
Salary: This position is a grade 14 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $98,685 to $127,105.
Application Process: This position is posted on the DC government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) website. Interested applicants are encouraged to follow the steps below to apply for the position:
· Click on the following link: https://careers.dc.gov/psc/erecruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?FOCUS=Applicant
· In the Search Jobs section, enter 4992
· Click on the job requisition entitled Project Manager