The Senior Business Analyst, reporting to the Vice President of Investments & Advisory Services, analyzes, interprets, and reports on the financial, operational, and social outcome data of approximately 100 social enterprise organizations across the country. The Senior Business Analyst works closely with REDF senior staff and external partners, and is comfortable analyzing, creating, and communicating value added findings. The ideal person is as comfortable with systems, analyses, and reporting as they are understanding, and communicating, to diverse stakeholders.
See What a Job Can Do
REDF is a venture philanthropy organization that invests exclusively in the growth and effectiveness of social enterprises―double bottom-line businesses dedicated to helping people who otherwise would be shut out of the workforce, get jobs, keep jobs, and build a better life. Since 1997, REDF has provided funding and specialized advisory services to over 60 social enterprises in California, to help them and the people they employ, succeed, and make spending for government programs go further. Now REDF is expanding the impact of its work nationally, building the field of social enterprise, deepening the evidence base to demonstrate the return on investment, and partnering with some of the most effective and innovative social enterprises around the country to strengthen their business, scale their impact, and help tens of thousands more people transform their lives and futures.
- Data Management. Manage data capture, integrity, and validation processes. Serve as a bridge to and collaborate effectively with Information Technology staff. Manage and collaborate effectively with parties owning external systems and databases. Spearhead initiatives to increase reporting capabilities and efficiencies. Manage impact data collection across all REDF programs (e.g., portfolio investments, business accelerators, field-building) to ensure the organization has an accurate count of unduplicated number of people employed across all programs. Collaborate with other departments such as Finance and Development to ensure impact data capture and tracking is sufficient to meet the needs of those departments.
- Reporting. Using a proactive approach, and project management methods, provide multiple internal and external stakeholders with the information they need in the form of reports, views, dashboards, etc. Design, build, and deliver reports, dashboards, views, and slide shows as required, using a variety of tools. Meet non-negotiable deadlines. Ensure accuracy of data in all reports. Build stakeholder confidence in our metrics through the consistent meeting of deadlines and infallibly accurate and elegant metrics.
- Portfolio Analysis. Discover and define needs, perform analyses, and communicate insights and findings that deliver value to diverse internal and external stakeholders. Plan, scope, and execute multiple initiatives across multiple domains concurrently. Update an annual analysis of portfolio progress against investment thesis in order to inform investment decisions. Design and conduct analyses of portfolio data to help portfolio staff determine the impact of technical assistance projects. Maximize the use of internal data sets to identify key drivers of positive employment outcomes at social enterprises.
- Evaluation. Manage REDF’s relationship with the third party evaluation consultant conducting a rigorous multi-year evaluation of the portfolio. Serve as internal project manager for the evaluation. Partner with senior staff and third party evaluation consultants to design and execute effective nation-wide surveys that gather critical information about the social enterprise field.
- Other duties as assigned
-Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Business, Economics, or Public Policy or related field, or equivalent, is required
- 6 years’ experience managing analysis and reporting, or equivalent, is required
- Basic knowledge of databases, and advanced skills with Excel, PowerPoint, and at least one report writing or business intelligence software (Crystal, Tableau, Wave, Cognos, etc.) is required. Tableau, which REDF uses, is preferred.
- Attention to detail and data precision is required
- Ability to plan and implement projects in accordance with hard deadlines is required
- Ability to effectively communicate findings and observations to various stakeholders is required, including in graphical, table, slide, verbal and written formats
- Experience analyzing new systems, business domains, and business processes is required
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM’s is required
- Baseline understanding of social science research is required; advanced knowledge of study designs and specific types of research (e.g., economic evaluation and cost benefit analysis) is highly valued, but not essential
- Willingness to travel occasionally nationwide is required
Position is considered sedentary and no unusual physical requirements are necessary to perform most daily tasks. Certain computer applications, programs, and documents may require an ability to differentiate colors, shapes, and symbols.
- Ability to help craft REDF’s next 20 years of impact
- Work with passionate, dedicated people
- Apply your passion for social change in your career
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees, and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, REDF will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.