About PolicyMap, INC
PolicyMap is a national online mapping tool and platform that enables government, commercial, non-profit and academic institutions to access data about communities and markets across the US. It is used for research, market studies, business planning, site selection, grant applications and impact analysis. We offer access to the PolicyMap tool through subscriptions and enterprise access, license the underlying data in our platform and help organizations and companies bring interactive mapping to their own websites. Launched in 2008, PolicyMap now has hundreds of customers, including federal, state and local government agencies, major universities, non-profit organizations, and commercial firms spanning real estate, banking and health care. PolicyMap is a Benefit Corporation founded on the belief that data has the power to change communities and markets. The problem is that getting that information is not simple or efficient. Data and analytics need to be reliable, consistent, and relevant. They need to be readily accessible. And they need to be responsive to the issues public and civic organizations are trying to understand. Changes in technology and the expansion of online mapping applications are creating new opportunities for the public and civic sectors to increase their ability to use and share good data and analytics to inform decisions.
PolicyMap seeks a Senior Data Analyst to contribute to the Data and Content Development Team by sourcing, acquiring, maintaining and curating data for our online data and mapping services. Because PolicyMap customers include government agencies, universities, non-profit organizations and commercial firms, the Senior Data Analyst must have an aptitude for conceptualizing data related to a variety of topics related to housing, poverty and health, to name a few. The Senior Data Analyst serves as a leader by assuming management responsibility of one or more of the following tasks: management of the PolicyMap boundaries database, maintenance and expansion of the PolicyMap color palettes or maintenance and expansion of the PolicyMap Reports library. The Senior Data Analyst may delegate work, under supervision of the Data Development Lead, to Data Analysts and Interns.
The Senior Data Analyst plays an integral role in the Data Development Team by creating new, unique data indicators derived from the combination of public and proprietary data using rigorous statistical methods. The Senior Data Analyst is also responsible for maintaining existing datasets on PolicyMap. Essential to the position is the capacity to contribute to PolicyMap’s role as a thought leader in data and mapping by providing fresh, relevant ideas and submissions to our blog, social media and Mapchats webinar series. This role also requires candidates who are invested in and enthusiastic about providing attention to detail to the PolicyMap platform by occasionally testing beta products and QA of the various PolicyMap products, which include our main site, our major client projects, and our API offering.
Reporting to the Data Development Lead, the Senior Data Analyst researches and procures datasets, analyzes, and processes them using MS SQL Server Management Studio, MS Access and ArcGIS. He/she needs to have strong writing skills and the ability to translate technical data descriptions into user friendly text accessible to our spectrum of users.
The Data and Content Development department prizes attention to detail; enthusiasm for our products and our clients are core values. We work well independently, and we take ownership of our individual workloads, while leveraging the strengths of all our team members through collaboration. The 6-person Data and Content Development department is agile, creative, and uses the best tools and approaches at hand for each task. PolicyMap’s office in Midtown Village provides a casual-dress work environment that matches our creative, collaborative culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Data Set Processing
· Research and procure large and small public and proprietary datasets
· Collect, process and document our datasets using SQL, MS Access, and ArcGIS
· Communicate with tech team to ensure data appears properly in PolicyMap
· Author documentation of process and dataset indicators
· Provide validation and quality assurance of datasets
· Validate other team members’ datasets
New Data Creation and Thought Leadership
· Contribute to the implementation of original, unique data and analytics new to PolicyMap
· Brainstorm ideas and contribute to PolicyMap’s social media efforts, blog articles and Mapchats webinar series related to current policy topics
· Manage at least one aspect of Data and Content Development Team’s core functions
· Supervise discrete delegated work projects to Data Analysts and Interns
· Participate in testing beta versions of new features
· Provide occasional online trainings to prospective PolicyMap users
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Master’s Degree (or five years’ commensurate work experience) in urban planning, public policy, health services research, economics, public health, anthropology, sociology, demography or other related fields
· Five years’ commensurate work experience required (can include internships)
· Demonstrated proficiency and experience required with GIS (ArcGIS), SQL and/or MS Access, or other relational databases; one or more statistical software programs (SPSS, SAS, R) a plus
· Experience using federal data, such as U.S. Census and Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
· Familiarity with current public policy issues and community development concerns
· Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
· Excellent technical and compositional writing skills
· Strong project management skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ownership/Accountability – Actively manages work and issues through to completion.
· Customer Service – Understands and manages customer expectations.
· Initiative – Anticipates and communicates challenges and opportunities.
· Commitment – Demonstrates sense of passion and urgency for work, mission and organization.
· Adaptability – Sees opportunity and risk for continuous improvement.
· Efficiency and Productivity – Determines priorities and allocates time and focus accordingly.
· Professional/Technical Expertise – Understands and applies technical/procedural knowledge of job.
Compensation and Benefits:
PolicyMap offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, and transportation), tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, and EAP program.