Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Amazon is looking for Systems Engineers to deploy, support, sustain, and grow the software systems that build, scale, monitor, secure, manage, and automate one of world's largest networks. The systems team will drive the stability and sustainability of these next-generation network software systems and discover innovative ways to scale and operate them reliably as we expand. In this role, you will work with network, systems and software engineers to create proactive engineering mechanisms that will enable your team to manage the health of a number of distributed specialized Linux server fleets and the software stacks that run on them. You will deploy and monitor the systems and automation to ensure that regional tooling is operating optimally. You will utilize trends and metrics to identify opportunities for improvements within existing frameworks, tools and processes to continuously improve systems.
The ideal candidate will be expected to perform high-quality systems deployment, operations, best practices application, optimization, internal/external customer interactions, and produce appropriate technical documentation and reports. He/she will be responsible for systems functionality, performance, and configurations issues. He/she will demonstrate sound knowledge of Unix and Scripting concepts and theory, and have experience participating in systems deployment and support. He/she will have a proven track record of success in driving complex issues to resolution autonomously and/or collaboratively. A love for working with new technologies and pushing the envelope on existing technology is required.
- Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical systems failures in high-pressure situations?
- Manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.?
- Investigate complicated technical issues scientifically and thoroughly, and assist in fixing them so they don't come back?
- Understand how a modern, cloud-hosted application stack works from top to bottom?
- Know how to provide technical solutions to real business problems in a global organization?
If you re a customer-focused Systems Engineer who would like to contribute to a critical success story, we would love to hear from you! Over a million customers rely on Amazon Web Services (AWS) network for building and running their applications and businesses. Our customers success depends on our world-class network infrastructure, and our network depends on our systems team!
- Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on-call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
- The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
- Travel to data center/systems sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
- Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
This position requires that applicant selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain a TS/SCI US Government clearance with polygraph.
Position may be located in either Herndon, VA 20170 or Seattle, WA 98101. Relocation assistance would be offered (pending qualification guidelines).
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
- 2+ years experience with systems software and systems architecture.
- In-depth knowledge & experience of Linux or other Unix operating systems.
- Experience deploying or managing distributed Linux environments.
- Proficiency in scripting/programming with one or more of Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking fundamentals.
- Self-driven, detail oriented, excellent analytical skills, a strong team player who works well with immediate and extended team, and consistently puts the team above oneself.
- Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision, and keep up with a fast-moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
- Strong desire to build, ability to multitask, sense of ownership and urgency. - Experience with Agile development methodologies and DevOps environments.
- Internet and operating system security fundamentals.
- Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands-on empirical monitoring.
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP networking, architecture, and core technologies.
- Excellent knowledge of server hardware and software troubleshooting.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.