The Vision 2027 Community Engagement Manager supports the Director of Vision 2027 in designing and implementing Vision 2027, PHS’s new initiative to create and implement an impact-driven strategic plan and business model for its work. The Community Engagement Manager carries primary responsibility for creating and executing a comprehensive community outreach and stakeholder participation process in support of PHS and the Vision 2027 strategic plan, including with the PHS Board, PHS members and volunteers, and other local, regional, and national organizations and stakeholders.
The Vision 2027 Team is collectively responsible for the following deliverables:
- Deliver a Vision 2027 Strategy that defines the needs PHS will address, impact outcomes PHS will deliver against those needs through its horticulture and greening work through 2027, PHS’s geography and audience, and business models to support PHS’s work. The strategy will be developed in two phases: a draft plan and set of hypotheses around impacts due early in the project, and a final version due near the end of the project.
- Deliver a robust, sustained community engagement process that uses imaginative tools to solicit meaningful input into the planning process from a diverse coalition of stakeholders.
- Deliver a thorough analysis of current needs related to PHS’s mission in the Greater Philadelphia Region, best practices in horticulture-driven programming that can be used to address those needs, and interests of philanthropic supporters.
- Identifying impacts and delivering functioning processes for measuring impact, assessing new project opportunities, and creating multi-year work and financial plans to deliver impact against the strategic outcomes.
- Deliver all organizational and operational changes needed to implement the strategy, including defining the required changes and implementing the changes in collaboration with staff across the organization.
- Establish clear messages among PHS staff, stakeholders, and beneficiaries on what PHS works to achieve, how PHS delivers impact, and how PHS supports itself as well as a clear path for generating a pipeline of new program ideas that are aligned with impact areas.
- Identify the critical existing and new audiences to engage through the Vision 2027 planning process, including PHS Board members, PHS members, volunteers, and supporters, and other local, regional, and national organizations and constituencies engaged with PHS.
- Conduct initial and ongoing research, including surveys and interviews, to understand stakeholder needs and priorities in the context of PHS’s mission and Vision 2027 planning.
- Devise and employ a robust, imaginative, purposeful, and active community engagement plan that solicits meaningful input into Vision 2027, inspires community interest in PHS and its work, and achieves common community understanding of PHS’s role and value in the Greater Philadelphia Region within Vision 2027.
- Create and manage regular and innovative community engagement initiatives, campaigns, meetings, and events, including workshops, door-to-door conversations, and other “grassroots” outreach and campaign activities that will foster a constant dialogue between PHS and its stakeholders and result in the sustainable growth of PHS’s supporter base.
- Act as an advocate and voice for PHS activities and connect activities to needs and priorities of different stakeholders, including members, volunteers, philanthropic and other organizations.
- Establish clear and accountable mechanisms and channels to incorporate community feedback and input into Vision 2027 Strategic Plan and existing and new PHS programs and pilot projects.
- Support Vision 2027 Director in developing communication plans on Vision 2027 progress, activities, community input, and accountability to all stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related fields required (e.g., communications, organizational management); Master’s degree preferred
- 3-5 years of political campaign, grassroots advocacy, or community organizing experience required
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and execute creative communications and engagement strategies
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead diverse coalitions of organizations and stakeholders and to coalesce disparate constituencies around a common cause
- Demonstrated ability to influence others to understand and implement change
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Passion for social and environmental change
- Familiarity with the Philadelphia region a plus
- Flexible schedule and ability to work some nights and weekends
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some physical demands are required. This includes the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
PHS offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
PHS is an equal opportunity employer.